Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Creamy Split Pea Soup

If there is a recipe I have searched high and low for, it is a good split pea soup recipe. I must have gone through a dozen recipes in search of a good one. I don't know why I just didn't give up. I must have known that someday I wound find THIS. And let me tell you: it was WELL worth the wait and the many failed attempts. Oh my goodness. This soup is truly for the soul. Even Joey likes it (that speaks volumes). Just thinking about this soup makes me get all warm and fuzzy inside.


Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 celery ribs, sliced
  • 1 pound dried green split peas
  • 2 quarts water
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

  1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings. Add onion and celery to drippings. Saute until vegetables are tender; drain. Add the peas, water, potatoes, ham, salt, bay leaf and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until peas are very tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
  2. Cool slightly. Process in small batches in a blender until smooth. (I reserve about half of the soup to NOT be blended. This just makes it a little more hearty and chunky. Merely preference.) Return to Dutch oven; stir in cream. Heat through (do not boil). Garnish with reserved bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment